Gardeners Road Public School is a strong learning community that provides a balanced, comprehensive curriculum for students with diverse needs. Established in 1883, this Sydney inner city school has a rich tradition of offering excellence in education and valuing the great diversity in abilities and cultures that students bring with them to the school. Over 35 different languages are spoken by our students.
In addition to Kindergarten through to Year 6 classes, the school has a support unit, with classes for students with additional needs. The school has a strong focus on improving literacy and numeracy outcomes for all students as well as providing an extensive range of programs to support student engagement and well being.
A significant increase in technology across the school is ensuring that students are developing sophisticated skills in using technology to learn. An enthusiastic and talented staff work with parents to help our students develop the skills and values they will need to lead a productive and fulfilling life as young adults in a complex society that is constantly changing.
Gardeners Road School aims to provide equal opportunity within a peaceful environment for children from many cultures. The school community expects that by attainable goals, students will work to their potential and value all achievement.
For more detailed information on our school, please see our:
Gardeners Road Public School was established in January 1883 when John Maloney opened the school in a temporary wooden school room designed to accommodate 200 pupils in 1 room. It was very different in the early 1920s when the enrolment climbed to 1,700 pupils and the children were crammed into the main building and its corridors and a collection of temporary wooden classrooms and weather sheds.
In 1880, the area around the junction of Gardeners and Botany Roads was settled by a scattered population of market gardeners, with huge tracks of vacant land and a few pockets of workers who were employed in the factories which had begun to be established in the district. The Cooper Estate was to dominate the early history of Gardeners Road Public School, and its sub division 30 years later was to result in an enormous rise in the school's enrolment.